Baby Food

P- This is the reason I make baby food!
Making your own baby food is a personal choice, just like anything else that comes with decision making and a baby. To each their own....because I applaud the families that cloth diaper! I, personally, made that choice when I had E six years ago. It was something my mom did with me and my sister. It seemed easy enough and I wanted to make sure that I knew what I was putting into his mouth was healthy. 
When I made E's food I toyed with the idea of purchasing the hot new baby-food makers. I decided to forgo the 'gimmick' item and just steamed or baked and then placed in a food processor.
This time around I upgraded (through a generous gift)! AND I AM SO GLAD I DID!!! I chose the Cuisinart Baby food maker and bottle warmer for three reasons: 1. It was a two for one- bottle warmer and food maker. 2. It seemed to be able to hold larger amounts of food than others. 3. Cuisinart is a trusted name.
source and more information
Onto the process...(Again, you DO NOT need a fancy baby food maker to do this) On this particular day I was making sweet potatoes and apples. 

In most instances you will need to peel the
fruits and vegetables before steaming. 

Then you will want to chop into 1/2-1" pieces.
This is why I like the baby food makers- it's a no brainer-
There is no overcooking because you forgot about it, no switching from one container to another, and it's done quickly.
Once you pour in the correct amount of water, you turn it on to steam. Once it is done it turns itself off. Here is the beautiful part- all you have to do is turn the dial from steam to chop! That's it. You're done!

I use trays like these to portion and freeze the food.
Simply spoon your puree into compartments, place lid on, and freeze.
Ice cube trays work perfectly too
.

The beauty of making your own food is just that- you can make it your OWN!
Don't be afraid to add things to it. I add coconut milk to sweeten, cinnamon (or ginger) for flavor, and coconut oil to add healthy fat into items. 

To store the food, I take the frozen cubes out of the containers and place into freezer plastic bags- label with the food and date


When we are traveling and I need to bring food with me I place the frozen cubes into glass jars like these. By the time he is ready to eat they have thawed and are ready.
I use the small Ball or these Weck jars. I don't have to worry about spilling or plastic with these. 

source
The other item I use to make baby food is a mill (like the one pictured above). This is perfect for making fruits smooth, and as they get older you can just throw your own meal into it and mash it up. It small and compact and perfect to throw in the diaper bag and take with you places. 

P is definitely NOT as interested in food like E was! We started introducing food around 6 months and it has been a slow process with him. So far he has tried sweet potatoes, butternut squash, green beans, zucchini, peaches, apples, bananas, avocado, kiwi, and yogurt. Right now he is only eating food about once a day in the afternoon. The rest of the time he is nursing. 

The best website (that I have been able to find) with a wealth of knowledge is Wholesome Homemade Baby Food

The thoughts and opinions in this post are just that :) I was not compensated in any way nor am I a doctor or expert. ;)

~Jenny~


your photo name

No comments

Back to Top